Patrick's training took him all over New Zealand and the world, but he always felt drawn to Dunedin. Born and raised in Dunedin, he went to Medical School at the University of Otago, graduating in 1992. Patrick then received a scholarship to study and teach anatomy at the University College of Dublin (graduated 1995).
Back in his home country, Patrick then trained in all the Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Departments in New Zealand (specialist training completed 2004) and subsequently returned to the UK to gain more experience in cosmetic, hand, breast and microsurgery.
Finally returning to Dunedin in 2007, Patrick started the Plastic Surgery Department, and developed a post-graduate course in surgical anatomy at the University of Otago, which he teaches to this day.
Patrick works at Southern DHB and in private practice at Fernbrae House. He performs privately funded procedures at Mercy Hospital Dunedin. You can see Patrick for appointments at Fernbrae House, Health Central Alexandra, Cromwell Medical Centre and Wanaka Health Centre.
Dr Patrick Lyall
MBChB, MMedSc(Hons), FRACS (Plast)
Positions and Memberships
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Dunedin Public Hospital
- Clinical Director Department of Plastic Surgery, Southern District Health Board
- Clinical Senior Lecturer Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago
- Private Practice in Cosmetic, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Fernbrae House, Mercy Hospital Dunedin, Health Central Alexandra, Cromwell Medical Centre & Wanaka Health Centre
- New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgeons